Tuesday, September 1, 2009

The First Day of School 2009

Well, another first day of school has come. I am so excited for each of my kids.

Jonah is starting Grade 5. He is maturing so very much and I have realized that I don't have much more time with him. He will always be my son but his days of living in my home and being in my life every day are winding down. He will soon be off to college and out into the world. It is a bittersweet feeling. I can hear my mother-in-law saying "Come on Andrea. Stop being so morbid!" I don't want to be morbid, but I just see that he is getting ready little by little. I know that it is the way that life is supposed to go, but I my mother's heart is twisting at the thought. I think God has me think about these things so far ahead so that I don't completely fall apart when they happen. When they come, He has prepared me in little tiny steps to deal with them in a healthy way.

Seth is starting in the Pathways program today. He is at a new school, with a new teacher and I have really prayed about this placement. I feel that God has opened this door, and so we are walking through it with great excitement. This program will focus a lot on behaviours and social graces and interactions. Seth still needs a lot of education in these areas so we are happy about him being in this program.

Lauren is off to Grade 2. It truly does feel like yesterday that she was an infant sitting in the middle of the carpet of our living room in Fond du Lac. Back then all she did was sit and drool and now she's a very mature 7 year old picking out her outfit and all its' accessories for the first day of school. The outfit she picked even had a co-ordinating scarf [Mom T, you know which one I mean :-) ] and she had to have me tie it just the right way so that she had the right 'look' on. She is 7 going on 16. Sigh

Spencer is at Dorothy's today since I am working later on. She was so excited to see "Dorfee" as she calls her day home provider. We have been so blessed with this lady. She has taken a little girl who hated anyone but her dad, and turned her into a precious little lady that loves everyone she meets. I am so thankful to her!

I was going to include the group shot I took of everyone this morning, but of course the computer won't co-operate with loading the pic, so I will get Rob to e-mail it to me later.

I have to say that I was really proud of myself. Why you might ask??? Well, here's why...I didn't do anything embarrasing. Really, I didn't....no crying, no waving... just sitting in the van, dropping everyone off and smiling....smiling about these 4 precious gifts that God has given me. Smiling that I have the wonderful blessing of living in a country in which my kids are being educated. Smiling about being able to come home and have a hot shower in peace!!!!

1 comment:

Shebrews said...

I was looking forward to pictures but I will settle with mental pictures of that first day of school and a little girl's twinkle in her eye. My little girl clung super glued to my leg and had to be pried apart several times while crying loudly for the seperation not to take place. This continued through the second grade, upon which, I think she figured out it wasn't going to do any good to fight it.......fortunately, we are still mentally superglued....lol.