Monday, August 25, 2008

The Hard Times

Sorry that I haven't posted for a while. Life here has been very busy. In May, while grocery shopping, Laura, my best friend here in Wisconsin had a seizure and woke up in the ER being told that she had a brain tumor. She is 35 years old. She and her husband were completely and totally shocked [as any of us would be]. The doctors have been monitoring the tumor since May and it was behaving itself, however a few weeks ago, her follow up MRI showed quite a bit of growth. The doctor then told them that he had no choice - a biopsy was definitely needed and he would remove as much as he could. Rob and I have been supporting them through this since May and it is a huge weight for us all to bear. She had her surgery one week ago today. The last week has been filled with ups and downs. I have been there a lot over the last few days helping in any way I can.

What do you say in circumstances like these? If any one has a good answer to that I would like to hear it. I have found over the last few days, that our friends don't want answers right now, they just want to know someone is there when they need them to be. We are all waiting until Wed. when they will get the pathology report on the samples that were sent following the surgery. There could be darker days ahead or reason for great celebration.

God keeps giving me Psalm 23. I just keep thinking about it over and over. With all that Rob and I have walked through in the last 2 years, it has comforted me in an incredible way. I have it printed out and stuck to one of my kitchen cupboards so that I see it each day. The version I printed out is from The New Living Translation. Maybe it will comfort some of you if you need it right now as it has been comforting me. Here it is:


Psalm 23
A psalm of David.

1 The Lord is my shepherd;
I have all that I need.

2 He lets me rest in green meadows;
he leads me beside peaceful streams.

3 He renews my strength. He guides me along right paths,
bringing honor to his name.

4 Even when I walk through the darkest valley,
I will not be afraid, for you are close beside me.
Your rod and your staff protect and comfort me.

5 You prepare a feast for me in the presence of my enemies.
You honor me by anointing my head with oil. My cup overflows with blessings.

6 Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me all the days of my life,
and I will live in the house of the Lord forever.

1 comment:

mrswilly said...

Andrea, I have a good friend who went through brain surgery to remove a tumor. It was not cancer but she did go through a lot. If you want I know she would gladly talk to you or your friend.....whatever. I can put you in touch with her. Email me if you want me to talk to her. She would be a great source of wisdom....in how to support your friend.