Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Hoar Frost

I really like living in Alberta. I don't enjoy it when it gets down to -45 degrees C, but other than that, I enjoy everything that the province offers us in weather. On that note, I wanted to share this with you.
Frequently, Red Deer gets quite foggy. When this happens in the winter something called 'hoar frost' occurs. This is a special type of frost that forms when the objects [trees, fences, etc.] get colder than the surrounding air and if the air is damp [like with a fog] this leafy frost develops. Apparently, this happens about 4 times per winter here, and it happened this week. We woke up to a world covered in ice crystals. It was like living in a fairy tale. None of us had seen anything so pretty. Jonah even remarked that this is the prettiest place we have ever lived!





Isn't that beautiful!! When it happens again, I'll try to snap a few more.



No comments: