Wednesday, June 17, 2009

How to freak out your mom.....drink Tylenol!

Yes, you read that correctly. I have Spencer home with me today and while I was doing some much needed laundry, Spencer must have somehow opened one of those 'child proof' caps which apparently aren't actually child proof and drank about 25 mL - 30 mL of Tylenol Cough and Cold. I found the cap of the bottle under the ottoman in the living room and then started to get concerned. I then found the bottle under the couch in the living room .... empty! Now I was in panic mode!!!!!!!!

So, the panicked mother in me was ready to call an ambulance and wisk this now very sleepy toddler off to the ER to have some intervention and the nurse in me decided to call Poison Control to see if she had ingested a toxic dose. Thankfully the bottle didn't have all that much left in it.

Edward, the very nice man who answered my call at Poison Control did all of his investigations and calculations and told me that she had not ingested a toxic dose of any of the 4 medications found in the preparation. He just told me to check on her every 30 min to make sure she was still rousable. As long as she can open her eyes and look at me when I talk to her, everything is fine.

So, she slept for about 30 min. with me frantically checking her every 5 min. I just had to keep checking on her. I felt awful! Well, then Rob came home for lunch. He walked into the living room where she was sleeping on the couch, he kissed her, she opened her eyes and said, "More cake?" She then walked to the kitchen table, climbed into her highchair and proceeded to eat 2 whole pieces of birthday cake. I realize this was not the healthiest of lunches, but quite frankly, she was awake, alert, talking and walking so she could have whatever she wanted. If the kid had wanted a pony I likely would have tried to find her one!

So, I guess this is a crisis averted and a huge lesson learned. I always keep the medications in a bin at the top of the linen closet, so they are completely out of the reach of anyone by Rob or I. Last night I forgot and I left the bottle on the counter. NEVER AGAIN WILL THAT HAPPEN!

2 comments:

jay geenen said...

A comment, ha. I write novles at my web site of www.jaygeenen.com. One of my best is
'Pieces of Eden' and another is 'The Iraqi Solution' This book is meant to promote peace and human understanding. Eden is good, right below our feet at times. Jay from Red Deer, we are lucky to life here.

Jodi said...

Happy Anniversary!

Hope you guys enjoy your day.

Regarding your post, one of my biggest fears is that the kids will get into some medicne or some cleaning products. Sam already reached under the sink (which was 'babyproofed' and sprayed some cleaner in his eyes. It was not to bad, I rinsed them out right away.

Then a couple of weeks ago, he ate some of Dennis' deodorant. I had to call Poison Control, luckily to was not toxic!

Take care and remind Rob he will turn 40 before I do!

Love and miss you guys!
Jodi, Dennis, Sam and Emma